I do not really follow the rules of seasonal colors when it comes to painting my nails and I’m still rocking this oxblood nail color even though it is almost spring where I live. The Maybelline Super Stay 7 Days Gel Nail Color in the shade 270 Ever Burgundy is the perfect oxblood for those who love to rock dark shades all year long or live in the other hemisphere and are still experiencing winter.
I think this deep burgundy shade would look stunning with a black ensemble, dark lips, and smoky eyes. Let me know how you would style this shade. Also, do tell me if you are comfortable sporting such dark colors during the warmer months.
As a person who writes about beauty products on a regular basis, I feel that it is my responsibility to speak about the darker aspects of this world as well. Beauty standards all around the globe are becoming more and more unforgiving by the minute, making it painfully hard for women to feel confident in their own skin. Of course, in an ideal world, everyone should be brave enough to embrace their “flaws” but constant scrutiny at a microscopic level can make the strongest succumb to the pressure. Here are 5 beauty standards that I would banish from the face of the planet if I had supernatural powers (until then, this blog will have to suffice).
1. Greasy roots – So many women feel obliged to wash their hair more often than they want, just to avoid showing up at work with those darned greasy roots. This makes for an arduous chore if you have long, fine hair and live in one of the hot and humid parts of the world. Shampooing the hair is an activity that should help maintain personal hygiene, and greasy hair doesn’t necessarily mean dirty hair. This obsession with super clean, fluffy hair has to go.
2. Hairy Body- Waxing, shaving, plucking and pulling, the pains that women have to endure to ensure that someone doesn’t die at the sight of their hairy armpits! One day when (Wo)man has evolved enough, there will no longer be any hair on the human body. Until then, it would be great if people could learn not to collapse if a few strands of hair poke through the stockings or the eyebrows are not perfect arches.
3. Blemished Skin – Only a small minority is blessed with flawless skin that is as perfect as porcelain. The rest of us do have acne, scars, and redness, and covering them up with layers of makeup does not work wonders for the skin. Of course, we like applying makeup when we want to conceal our blemishes, but do let us be if our skin needs to breathe. Most of us are well aware of our imperfect skin, so concerned comments about the bumps and pores do not really serve any purpose.
4. Chipped Polish – Let us face it, chipped polish is and will always be a reality. Nobody carries a bottle of nail paint around for a quick touch up every time they need to use their hands for ripping open packages or scrubbing utensils. It is hard to defy the laws of wear and tear, so let us stop considering chipped polish as a cardinal sin. Who knows, it might be the next hot trend after clumped mascara and messy lipstick.
5. Muffin Tops – It is obvious that nobody would refuse picture perfect abs if they were offered on a platter, however, they are not. Muffin tops are not necessarily the result of a sedentary lifestyle and could be caused due to a lot of factors ranging from hormonal fluctuations to genetics. Starving, Spanx, or an incredible ability to hold your breath should not be mandatory for looking fabulous.
These are some of the beauty standards that I refuse to abide by on most occasions. It will eliminate a lot of stress if you stop giving importance to these rules each time you get ready. How you want to dress up and how much makeup you want to apply should always be governed by your choice (that may fluctuate each day). So relax and be yourself 🙂
If your high-quality makeup is still not able to provide you the flawless finish that you desire then chances are that this is due to the lack of good blending tools. A great makeup brush or sponge is absolutely essential for blending the product perfectly, to achieve a smooth finish. A poor quality makeup brush makes foundation look streaky and patchy, especially if it is a high coverage foundation with a thicker consistency. Eyeshadow will also sit oddly on the skin if not blended properly.
The sign of a good makeup brush is that it will not shed and will be soft enough to not leave marks of the brush strokes on the skin. My personal favorites are the brushes from Real Techniques and Zoeva. They may be a little expensive but, unlike makeup, will last for many years if you take good care of them and wash them regularly. This Real Techniques Mini Brush Trio was originally priced at INR 1100 but was heavily discounted on Amazon and ended up costing me only INR 500. The quality of the mini brushes is exactly the same as that of the original ones, only the handles are shorter. Those who want to find out what the fuss is all about can opt for this kind of a kit and I am sure that they will never look back.
If you wish to bid goodbye to red cystic acne then this product might prove to be your best friend. The Vichy Normaderm Night Detox cream works efficiently on sore and stubborn pimples that do not seem to budge at all. It provides stunning results within a few hours by shrinking them, and regular usage gets rid of them completely.
I use this cream when all other remedies and products fail to help with clearing up my skin. It is an overnight treatment which has a semi-liquid consistency and is light and non-greasy. This cream is very potent and only a tiny amount is enough, if you use too much then it might sit like a thin film on your face. I apply this before going to bed to only the parts of my face where I have acne. The product can also be applied to the entire face to make the skin radiant and less oily. The formula is paraben free and does not irritate my skin at all, however, it has a strong scent that might bother some people.
The product is a little expensive (priced at INR 990 for 40ml) but one tube lasts me a very long time. I like that the tube has a tiny opening that prevents wastage of the cream. I feel that the formula is a little harsh for daily use and should be reserved for the days when the skin is particularly messed up. I highly recommend it for immediate rescue from acne when you have a special occasion around the corner.
The bikini season is almost here, so it is the right time to stock up on sunblock creams. I am very picky about my sunscreen lotions because I find most of them either too heavy or hard to blend or overwhelmingly fragrant. The Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock is a wonderful exception and therefore my holy grail choice.
This product has SPF 50 which is ideal for Indian summers. The formula is light and very blendable and does not have any greasiness. It does have a scent but nothing too offensive. I use this product on my face and arms when I have to spend a day outdoors and it keeps my skin soft and smooth without leaving a white cast. It also claims to be waterproof but I would recommend reapplication after a couple of hours if you go swimming. I am particularly happy with this sunblock because it does not break out my skin, which is quite rare considering my skin type.
Spending INR 199 on a 30ml tube of this product would be a great investment for oily skinned folks like me who are on the lookout for a good sunscreen.
As a kid, I used bottle after bottle of the Garnier Ultra Doux Shampoo that was available in a lot of wonderful fragrances and cleansed the hair perfectly. It is no surprise that I rushed to purchase the Garnier Ultra Blends Shampoo that was recently launched in the exact same packaging. I went for the 5 Precious Herbs Revitalizing Shampoo that promises to clean the hair thoroughly but gently, and true to the quality of the brand, it does just that.
The shampoo combines the benefits of green tea, lemon, henna, aloe, and eucalyptus to remove traces of pollution and hydrate the hair for a revived look. The formula is whitish green in color and lathers up quite easily. It also has a citrusy smell that I really like. I love that it cleans my roots very well and leaves the hair feeling light and bouncy, without any traces of grease.
I think this shampoo is ideal for those with oily hair as it gets rid of all the ill effects of sweat and humidity. The shampoo is priced at INR 230 for a 340 ml bottle, also, there are several offers for a free conditioner that are available online. I feel that this is a great shampoo for the upcoming summer months.
As I have mentioned several times before, I have fairly sensitive eyes. Therefore, I shy away from waterproof mascara because it tends to irritate my eyes during removal. Unless it is a special occasion, I prefer a lighter non-waterproof mascara that provides some volume and length without being too clumpy. The Maybelline Colossal Volum’ Express Mascara is my favorite for daily wear because it delivers on all these fronts.
The formula provides reasonable volume and length but has less hold as compared to the waterproof variant from this range. It is not very curling but that can be rectified by using an eyelash curler before application. I love this mascara primarily for the volume that it provides without being too clumpy. A single coat will give a very natural look that is easily buildable to a dramatic flutter with 2-3 coats. I also like the thick wand with the bristles because these seem to apply the product quite evenly on the lashes.
The longevity of this mascara is great and it lasts on my lashes for more than 8 hours. Despite this, it is super easy to remove and easily comes off with just water. It is a great drugstore mascara that is priced at INR 400 but is usually available online at around INR 350. I would also recommend the waterproof version for a butterfly like flutter and a stronger curling action.